Top tips for living authentically
Hello my lovelies,
I wanted to do a little follow-up to my post from Monday. It seems that many of you really identified with it but I had a few emails from women who really wanted to change their behaviours and become truly authentic but have no idea where to start. So I thought I would share a few tips today.
First, let's stop a moment to think about what being authentic really means. I sent out my weekly "love note" email newsletter this week and I talked about living in alignment with our values which is essentially the same thing as living authentically - if we are living true to our values, purpose and own desires we are living authentically. It means living wholly, fully - showing the world all that we are (good and bad bits) and what we have to offer.
But it can be really hard to do this - often, we are afraid to let our true self show because we fear rejection, negative comments, judgement or that people just might not like us. And yet, in reality, as a community we are crying out for honesty and truth. We don't just want to see the shiny bits of life, we want to see all of the person we are making a connection with on twitter, blogs, in youtube videos. We want to know that they are like us and struggle with the same things we do.
If you take nothing else away from this article - I want you take this ….
The world needs what you have to offer, all of you. All. of. you.
So how do we go about living more authentically?
- TELL THE TRUTH - It might sound obvious but one of the best ways to be authentic is to live with honesty. Share your feelings, be truthful about your mistakes and own them.
- KNOW YOUR VALUES - Get clear on what's important to YOU and make sure you are living in alignment with your values and not what you feel is expected of you.
- DO WHAT YOU ENJOY - Spend ten minutes a day (or longer if you have time!) doing something you love and spend ten minutes less on the things you don't enjoy.
- KNOW PERFECTION IS A MYTH - Everything that has ever been created could have been better. Striving to be perfect means we are heading away from our authentic selves. Understanding that perfection is a myth gives us the freedom to be who we are.
- MEDITATE - Even just a few minutes a day in meditation can connect us to our inner self. Start your day with some deep breaths, concentrate on the rise and fall of your chest. Sitting quietly and listening often allows us to unravel our truth from the expectations of others.
- TRUST YOUR INSTINCT- Your intuition is a very powerful tool in connecting with your authentic self. Learning to listen and trust our instincts helps us to grow more as ourselves.
Have a tip on how to live authentically then leave a comment below! Found this article useful? Share it with your friends using the button below. You can sign up for weekly love notes here.