Why I am doing Whole30
First, let me start by saying I did a bucket load of research on nutrition, Veganism, Paleo and Clean Eating. My choice to go with the Whole30 route comes down to my reasons for wanting to make the changes in the first place.
WHY I AM CHOOSING TO CHANGE MY DIET
It is not simply to lose weight, although inevitably that will probably happen. It goes far deeper:
- I don't feel healthy. I am tired all the time, have zero energy and feel sluggish. As a creative entrepreneur I need to be at the top of my game, I can't afford not to have the energy to put into my business every day.
- I have some hormonal challenges. I have tried medication, had various tests and nothing has straightened it out. Switching to a 'clean' diet and reducing my alcohol intake might just help.
- I don't have a healthy relationship with food. Over the years if I have felt sad/bored/angry/lonely I have reached for a bag of crisps or bottle of wine. As I am getting deeper into practicing mediation and Yoga, the need to turn to those things is less, so cutting back altogether seems like an obvious choice.
WHAT THE WHOLE30 MEANS FOR ME
The principles are fairly straightforward, in summary it means:
- Cutting out ANY processed 'foods' - no ready meals, crisps, chocolate etc.
- Choosing only Organic, Grass Fed animal products (I chose to eat meat over Vegan or Vegetarian diet because I am anaemic and it is the best way for me to get the Iron supply I need).
- No Dairy (bye bye Cheese)
- No grains (some 'healthier' options might sneak in after the first 30 days)
- No Alcohol (yes, really)
- No sugars. Not even honey.
I have planned out my meals for the month and honestly, there isn't anything I am not looking forward to trying. Good quality meat, lots of veggies and fruit. Healthy fats such as Coconut Oil and Almond Butter.
In addition to making the changes to my eating, I have a renewed enthusiasm for exercise - walking, Yoga, The Daily Plank Challenge (day 3 and it's a killer so far).
I am very lucky that Mr Lovely is supportive - putting up with being dragged round organic farmshops, and understanding that I won't be socialising with alcohol or eating out for 30 days.
So, there we have it... today is day 1 and I have already tucked into my brekkie of Blueberry and Banana egg cakes, cooked in Coconut Oil and with a serving of Organic Apple slices. Yum!