Oil Spotlight: Grapefruit
Did you know?...
The name “grapefruit” is attributed to the fruits growing in clusters that resemble those of grapes.
Commonly known for its sour and tangy taste, grapefruit is the rotund, yellow-orange fruit of an evergreen citrus tree. Grapefruit essential oil is derived from the rind of this fruit and is cherished for its many uses and benefits. The aroma of Grapefruit essential oil matches the citrus and fruity flavors of its origin and provides an invigorating and energizing aroma. Diffused Grapefruit oil invokes a sense of clarity, and due to its main chemical component, limonine, can help to uplift mood. With its powerful cleansing properties, Grapefruit oil is valued for its skin care benefits and ability to promote the appearance of clear, healthy-looking skin when applied topically. When used internally, Grapefruit oil can help support a healthy metabolism.*
Grapefruit Oil Benefits
- Improves the appearance of blemishes
- Supports healthy metabolism*
- Uplifts mood
Grapefruit Oil Uses
- Are you trying to shed some extra weight or stick to a diet? Use Grapefruit essential oil to help you meet your goals. Add a few drops of Grapefruit oil into a diffuser to help increase motivation.
- The fruity and spry flavor of Grapefruit essential oil makes a great addition to a variety of different foods and drinks. To enliven the flavor of your smoothies and also give your body the benefits of Grapefruit oil,* add one to two drops of Grapefruit essential oil to your favorite smoothie. If you are looking for a good way to add a brightness of flavor to your morning, make an Acai Bowl for breakfast and add a drop or two of Grapefruit oil.
- Grapefruit is well-known for its ability to support a healthy metabolism.* Support your metabolism at home or on-the-go by adding one to two drops of Grapefruit oil to your water. This essential oil addition to your drinks will also give your water a flavor-filled and vitalizing boost. Take the benefits of Grapefruit oil wherever you go by carrying it in your purse or briefcase and adding it your water at restaurants or at work.
- Enjoy a soothing massage with Grapefruit essential oil. For a good pick-me-up after a long day, apply Grapefruit oil and massage in needed areas. The Grapefruit oil will leave behind a light, uplifting fragrance and will also help improve the appearance of blemishes where it is applied. For the areas massaged, avoid UV light for up to 12 hours after applying citrus oils topically.
- Improve the relationship with your body by giving it some essential oil care. Rub one to two drops of Grapefruit essential oil on your stomach to help you have a healthy emotional relationship with your body.
- Push the tense feelings away with the aromatic and topical benefits of Grapefruit essential oil. If you are feeling tense or down, rub one to two drops of Grapefruit oil onto your neck and shoulders for positive vibes. Grapefruit essential oil will help promote feelings of vitality and will uplift mood.
- Make sure to spread the effects of Grapefruit essential oil to your entire body by adding it to your body scrubs and body wash. This essential oil addition will emit an invigorating scent and help smooth the skin.
- Often times, reading or studying for long periods of time can cause the mind to wander and lose focus. For those moments when you need a boost to help you study or you are wanting to finish up the last pages of a book, diffuse Grapefruit essential oil. Diffusing Grapefruit oil will help promote a sense of focus while studying or reading.
*I only use doTERRA therapeutic grade oils internally, as I trust their purity and quality.
Chemistry of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: d-Limonene
The main chemical constituent of Grapefruit essential oil is d-limonene. Limonene is in the monoterpenes group and possesses strong uplifting aromatic characteristics.1 The uplifting benefits found in limonene are what make Grapefruit oil a great oil for aromatic use. Limonene also has the ability to dissolve oils, which makes it a common ingredient in hand cleansers.
Oils that Blend Well with Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit blends well with a variety of different essential oils for additional body and mind benefits. For an ideal blend, combine Grapefruit with Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Bergamot essential oils for diffusion.