Oil Spotlight: Vetiver
Did you know?...
The roots of the vetiver plant are unique in their ability to grow downward, creating a thick tangle of roots in the ground. The root of the hearty vetiver plant is the origin of Vetiver essential oil, and produces a fragrance that is earthy and strong. This aroma has been used among many perfume industries and is a notable characteristic of Vetiver essential oil.
Vetiver oil is composed of multiple sesquiterpenes, allowing Vetiver oil to have a grounding effect on emotions. This grounding effect makes Vetiver oil a commonly used essential oil in massage practices and topical and aromatic uses. Vetiver essential oil can also be taken internally to support a healthy immune system.
Vetiver Oil Benefits
- Calming, grounding effect on emotions
- Immune-supporting properties
- Promotes sleep
Vetiver Oil Uses
- When experiencing anxious, unnerved, or stressed feelings, use Vetiver oil aromatically or topically. Vetiver essential oil is rich in sesquiterpenes, which contain grounding properties. When used on the skin or inhaled, Vetiver essential oil can help provide a calming and grounding effect on emotions.
- Aid your immune system by taking Vetiver essential oil internally.* Vetiver oil contains immune-supporting properties and is a great way to fortify your immune system.* For healthy immune support, place a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil into a veggie capsule and take it internally.*
- Give your body a little TLC with a Vetiver essential oil bath. For best results, fill the bath tub with warm water and add a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil the water. These simple steps will provide you with an ideal bath that is perfect for deep relaxation. The aromatic benefits of Vetiver oil will also aid in creating a soothing and calming atmosphere.
- Traveling always comes with certain risks—environmental threats being one of them. To help prepare your body for traveling and a change in environment, take Vetiver essential oil internally.* For best results, combine one to two drops of Vetiver oil with Lemon oil in a Veggie Caps capsule. This powerful combination of oils will help support a healthy immune system.*
- Vetiver oil’s aroma is sweet, woody, and smoky–emitting a strong, earthy scent. Use the earthy tones of Vetiver essential oil as a base for your favorite DIY diffuser blends. Adding Vetiver essential oil to a diffuser blend will provide aromatic benefits that have a calming, grounding effect on emotions.
- Sleep is extremely important for the health of both the mind and body. When individuals do not receive adequate hours of sleep or have too many sleepless nights, body functions begin to slow down. To help promote a restful night’s sleep, rub Vetiver oil on the bottom of your feet. Vetiver oil is a great essential oil for sleep and relaxation and can help give your body the sleep it needs.
- Give your body a powerful boost by adding one to two drops of Vetiver essential oil to your tea or hot drinks during the winter months. Vetiver essential oil contains immune-supporting properties that will help fortify your body against seasonal threats.*
- Because of Vetiver oil’s grounding effects, it is commonly used for massages. After a long day of standing, apply a few drops of Vetiver essential oil to your feet and slowly massage the oil in. A Vetiver oil massage is perfect after a long day, and the aromatic features of the oil can also provide a grounding and calming effect on emotions.
*I only use doTERRA therapeutic grade oils internally, as I trust their purity and quality.
Chemistry of Vetiver Oil
Main Chemical Components: Carvone, isovalencenol, khusimol
The main chemical constituents of Vetiver essential oil are carvone, isovalencenol, khusimol. Both isovalencenol and khusimol are sesquiterpenes that are part of the alcohols functional group. These chemicals have grounding properties and are what make Vetiver essential oil a grounding oil. Carvone is a monoterpene that is a member of the ketones functional group. Carvone contains energizing properties that add to the beneficial chemical properties of Vetiver essential oil.
Oils that Blend Well with Vetiver Oil
Vetiver oil blends well with Lavender, doTERRA Serenity®, doTERRA Balance®, Sandalwood, and Lemongrass essential oils.